Skip to main content

pack light?

You can get a lot of things here, but sometimes you just want what you want.

  • Like some sundresses I got rid of because they were strapless.Everyone here sells them but not like mine...I want THOSE sundresses.I can have them made but havent gone through the hassle.
  • my portable hood attachment to dry my hair via a handheld blow dryer. Though not used all the time,it came in handy and as it weighed nothing much I should have brought it.
  • more shoes.I wear a size 9 and they consider it a big size.Even when you DO find your size, it isnt always comfortable. Its best to bring shoes from home.ESPECIALLY if you are a shoe person.
  • If you have favorite outfits-unless they are streetwalker worthy-I say bring them.You can wear a shawl,scarve,or jacket to cover  your arms.When not at work its ok to show them (or your legs),though if you become heavily acclimated,you may not feel right doing so.
I wouldnt pack jeans unless you have a body type thats difficult to fit. With that said,I am about a size 11/12 at home. Here I buy a 14 and sometimes 16 in any given style of clothing in order for it to fit normally (not too tight,not too loose).A nice place to get something like jeans is a place called Next and they have reasonable prices. Lots of places have good sales.

Youll also find yourself in places like Lulus and Carrefour. I get clothes from both but after realizing the quality of C's clothes,I dont get them from there anymore. Lulus is ok depending on what youre getting. If you have the money to buy clothes here and want to pack school items, I say get rid of most,if not all of your clothes. You dont need them sitting at home,esp when others need clothes :-).

If you need to buy clothes for working here,I say buy them here.If you already have them, I would say pack some of them but also pack what you really like because you wont be living at work.Also,consider wearing an abaya to work. They can be cooler to wear depending on the type and its easy to just throw on shorts and a shirt and put the abaya over it and go.Saves on dressing time,and also $$ for buying clothes that you may not wear otherwise.

FYI,your abayas dont have to be black either.Mine wont be next year!

I think this is it in regards to clothes I think.Save up in preparation for the ride!

Comments

  1. Great suggestions!! I am in the mist of packing now. I have given so much away! I too will wear brightly colored abayas to work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, abayas don't have to be black?

    Suddenly a whole new world has opened up to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

gulu habibti

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

Testyyyyyy

I sit here watching HGTV and typing away on my computer. Ive been doing this for days now. Apartment is pretty much empty and the hubby is there getting rid of the last few things before working one last weekend and coming home. People ask if Im excited yet and I dont think that it has hit me quite yet. I mean, I am excited but not like I will be when I get the ticket, or even when I get ready to board the plane, or especially when I finally get on Etihad!!! My legs are propped over my knee roller, which I got (again) today for the last stretch of this whole cast situation. Its cool and Im thankful to be healing properly and relaxing at home not doing too much of anything. I have awhile before I am forced to condence one last time before the final move. I am not looking forward to that task. I write before my departure with the next group in mind. I spent months reading about the experience of others and researching any and everything I could about Abu Dhabi and the UAE. Out of eve...

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...