Skip to main content

Zega Bula

I couldnt make today up if I tried. It was absolute craziness and it threw me for such a loop, the entire day was kind of off. I guess it started from the weekend when I had a corneal abrasion that healed itself with some eye drops and a bit of rest. I eagerly drove to school early for set up and to see what, if anything, happened in my room while I was away. I walk in and no carpet. I ask the boys who were in the room and they said they didnt know. I chat them up a little with the usual greetings and tell them I missed them and carry on.

A little later the cleaning lady comes in to tell me they messed up the room, that a teacher took pictures, that someone messed up the carpet...pretty much what I could gather from her broken English. She kept saying, "no problem" but I told her it was a big problem and I marched them to the office to see Mudeera (principal). I then find out that the HOF is the one who took the pictures and it wasnt a pretty sight. My mouth fell open when I discovered the boy had take a purposeful POOP on the carpet. Items were taken off shelves and things were on the floor. According to the kids, it was TWO kids, out of twenty.I dont know WHAT got into them. I kept in mind that they are five BUT to put bula/poop on the floor is unacceptable!
So parents are called.I talked to one mom though I never quite know what to say in situations like these with the language barrier.

Anyway, the day continues on but its difficult to continue the day with the room being rearranged and not having that carpet area for circle time...I take the kids to music but she isnt there. GREAT! They arent walking in the hallway quietly so we won't go outside as a replacement for music class. Instead, we go to the room and sit quietly on the rug and I say a few words about their behavior. One kids asks about eating and I promptly let him know it isnt time yet.

A short while later, the music teacher comes in. "10:15. Did you forget music is this period?" I confusingly tell her no, that the kids I sent looking for her said she wasnt here, that she had gone...and I send them on their way with her. I look at the clock and then at the schedule on the way and realize the period that just passed was SNACK TIME!!! ugh.

No lights in the music room, malfunction maybe?,so the kids went outside with the teacher. Im trying to regroup and get the room together and some kids come back to my room talking about a student and after a bit of charades I quickly stand up thinking, "I know he did not break his arm"! Before I get out of the classroom, more kids running my way telling me the same thing. I have them fall in behind me as I march to the office for answers. Indeed, he jumped off some equipment, natural for a kid his age, and fell on his arm. When I saw him, it was in a splint and he was waiting for the ambulance. I didnt go all the way into the room. Just enough to see him laying with the nurse. I almost cried for him. I know he was in pain.

We managed to go back to the room and eat and finish last period. I dont know if my "speech" about safety was understood but Im sure my unhappiness with the day was. My little translator didnt hesitate to step in and give the kids a piece of her mind. I could tell by the sound of her voice,lol. One day I want to record her and find out exactly what she is saying to them.Im sure she's going to be very helpful to her teacher next year when she's not in one of her moods.

(sigh)
I also have lots to say about my lesson plans and my grouping but Ill save that for another day/entry.


*zega/bula: pee/poop
I learned this after one of the kids was chanting it to the dismay of others so I knew it couldnt be good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.