Skip to main content

She Said I Wasn't Listening

There were times when I taught overseas that I thought I wasn't going to make it and I was at a good school. Sometimes, you get tired of foolishness, lack of communication, seeing people being singled out in unprofessional ways, and seeing people being judged on their teaching skills when you know their interaction in classroom has been sporadic and/or their recommendations aren't necessarily sound.

So, imagine my dismay when I realized that I'm in a very similar situation now. I noticed confused looks on new teacher's faces as we walked around wondering when we would be sat down and talked to about policies and procedures. Instead, we were told to ask our teammate. Fine. But if I didn't know something I should have, I felt like I was a snitch because they'd ask who you went to for help. I have to work with these people for a year. I'm good on that.

Once I realized the situation I was in, I buckled down and got my room together as best I could with what I call "repatriation brain".  I recommend taking some time off to get reacclimated if at all financially possible. I turned down offerings of worksheets galore and felt like each decline marked me as an uncooperative teacher. I stayed the course. I saw through plannings where my ideas were completely different from my team so I kept my mouth shut once I realized they had a well oiled machine that didn't need changing. I stayed the course. I worried that my kids would be well below expectations at the end of the year because we were moving at a different rate. I stayed the course. It paid off.

Not only did they make tremendous gains in the final year assessment on iReady-some by over 100 points!-but I found out today that the teacher who got my class this year (they moved as a group with some others sprinkled in with them) has no red students in Dibels. When I tell you that I did a DANCE! She made my day. I was so happy and joyous.

That didn't last long. And I've been putting it aside and bringing it back to chew on it since school dismissed. Let me first say that I am proud of myself for my reaction. I hate confrontation even though my face may say otherwise (literally LOL). Even so, I remained calm, had no feelings of angst, and wasn't even defensive. The old me would have replayed the conversation in my mind and filled myself with dread wondering how I came across to the other person.

Instead, I will move past this unproductive conversation and continue to read as much as I can until I am able to work with people who are more aligned with the kindergarten I know and love. Instead of having a conversation about her feedback, which is what I have been able to do for the past 7 years, she took it to mean I wasn't listening and pushing back. In my mind, we can have a better conversation if I tell you my intent behind something and then we can have a conversation about how I can better go about implementing something. I'm all for feedback but if you give me worksheets for low KG students and tell me to sit the class in front of a 30 minute video every day for a month until they learn their letters (last year), I can only conclude that we are not on the same page.

I, in no way feel like I know everything. On the contrary, I want to learn and grow. It is something I looked forward to when I returned. I don't know if it's the nature of the system but I feel like some schools are better than others with being DAP. Part of me wonders if I should just do as the others even though I don't really know how that looks and it goes against what I've learned and read. The other part of me says my data shows I don't have to do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.