Skip to main content

MOMMY?!

While in waitrose today I heard the familiar sound of crying and saw a child out of the corner of my eye. Its a normal occurrence and I didn't pay it much mind as I was on a mission to find something for a party later. Even so, I had this nagging feeling and was a bit dismayed about the fact that it's commonplace to ignore those crying children when they appear to be lost, or left as it seemed to be in this case as I would find later on. On the one hand, it happens so often that you realize is futile to walk up to a child who (1) doesn't speak English, (2) the mom/caregiver is either right there and ignoring the child leaving you to think there is noone around  or (3) they are right around the corner and the child hasn't caught up. In which case they will come back to get them...eventually. And while it's also commonplace to touch a stranger's child here, I don't feel its my place to step into a situation that is deemed normal here.Who am I to vilify you when there is very little chance anything bad will happen to your child?

Today I broke protocol and stopped to ask the child if they wanted their mommy, to which they replied yes. The child kind of looked western so I thought they might genuinely be lost.And I find it quite unnatural to ignore a child who is obviously in distress. I took their hand and tried to verbally calm them while walking down the store,looking down each aisle, and talking to the child. I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to steal the child and I certainly didn't want a confrontation with the mom though I felt there was a low chance of that. Anyway, no mom one way. While doubling back I made sure to watch any women who may be mom and a lady walked up who said she was the child's teacher. I explained the child was crying and alone so I stepped in. She took the child-who I keep referring to as such because he/she had such beautiful,curly hair that IDK what the gender was,lol-and went the opposite way only to double back because the mom wasn't there!!They left the store and by the time I checked out I didn't see anyone.

I just find it so hard to believe that child was in the store alone! insane. And not to mention the chance that that wasn't the teacher. Though I wouldn't know anyway.I also thought about the incident the other week where a man exposed himself to a woman in the store.A rare occurrence but still. (sigh) By now Im sure that moment is long gone out of the child's mind but has lingered in mine long enough that I figured Id write about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

Testyyyyyy

I sit here watching HGTV and typing away on my computer. Ive been doing this for days now. Apartment is pretty much empty and the hubby is there getting rid of the last few things before working one last weekend and coming home. People ask if Im excited yet and I dont think that it has hit me quite yet. I mean, I am excited but not like I will be when I get the ticket, or even when I get ready to board the plane, or especially when I finally get on Etihad!!! My legs are propped over my knee roller, which I got (again) today for the last stretch of this whole cast situation. Its cool and Im thankful to be healing properly and relaxing at home not doing too much of anything. I have awhile before I am forced to condence one last time before the final move. I am not looking forward to that task. I write before my departure with the next group in mind. I spent months reading about the experience of others and researching any and everything I could about Abu Dhabi and the UAE. Out of eve...

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...