Skip to main content

GET OUT





Brace yourself.

It's coming.

Piles of things with nowhere to go and an impending deadline. You have a million things to do so you begin the arduous task of figuring out what to keep and what to let go of. In the beginning, it seems easy enough. Maybe you don't have lots of things. In which case, the above picture will never be you. In most cases, however, just get your tissue ready. Or your bottle of libation. Whichever suits your fancy.

Let me start with the process of letting things go. Because I am so smart, I began paring down months ago. It felt good and I was so proud of myself for being on top of things. After that, I began to walk around my house and think about what I would post things for when the time came. I decided I didn't want the hassle of bargaining so I would post things for a ridiculous price. Satisfied that I had time, I continued on with daily life. Fast forward some months and we get the paper work. It is so confusing that I set it aside and figured I would get to it later. "We have time, right?"

NO!

After questions from friends about what I had done so far I decided I had better look at a calendar. It was shocking and I quickly shifted into gear! I posted things and people began calling! They didn't even bargain and I was a happy camper having gotten rid of so many things in one weekend. Unfortunately, my selling streak didn't last long and the things they bought were holding containers for things I would need in the coming months. The clutter in my house became a direct representation of the chaos I started feeling inside. My house looks like a mess!

There are several ways moving out can go at this point:

1. Continue to post and get frustrated that people aren't buying your things.
2. Post expensive items for dirt cheap and get a 4th of what you payed for it in return.
3. Give it away.

Now, I will admit that I have some pride-doesn't everyone?-and I just cannot entertain someone who offers me 200 dirham on a 5 month old item that costs 1200 brand new. #wheretheydothatat? Call it what you like but I would rather give it away than to accept insulting offers. For this reason, option 2 is not an option I can live with. I also don't have time to get frustrated over items that don't sell so option 1 is a no go as well. Option 3 has all the benefits without the headache!

There are a few ways to give your things away. Word of mouth is easy. There are so many people who would be grateful for your items and who are in desperate need of things. Try the cleaning staff at your school or in your building. I will put everything out- bath towels, kitchen items, health and beauty items, etc and they can take what they want. In the meantime, I will be waiting for Take My Junk to come and take everything I was unable to sell. They. Take. Everything. Having that appointment has alleviated so much stress! One word of advice-don't count on money from selling items because you never know what you will get!

In terms of packing your personal things, as far as I know you are on your own with that BUT there seems to be someone you can pay for anything you want done here-just don't be mad if something is broken when you get it home. If you have a husband (or lots of muscle), be sure to weigh everything and know if you have overage fees to pay. If you know you are going home in the following year TAKE THINGS HOME IN PREPARATION! You won't regret it.

And while you are preparing to repatriate, remember to continue to enjoy life and do anything you feel you haven't yet experienced or anything you feel you should repeat. For me, I know there are lots of things I won't be able to eat at home so we made a list of eateries to hit up before our departure. See your friends and continue making those memories! The stress of all of this won't be over until you are on that plane. Aside from xanax, I am not sure there is a cure but make preparations for things to go smoothly!


*When all is said and done, I will post about this all elusive exit process!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.