Skip to main content

Pack Light?

I cant, in good conscience,tell you not to pack manips and such on your journey here. As with everything in life,there are pros and cons. There are also solutions to problems.

  • problem: it costs a lot to pay for another luggage
  • it costs more to send for it or to have to buy it over here

  • con: They could already have these items in your school,then you brought these things for nothing
  • real con: they dont have it and you didnt bring it :-(
  • solution: (a)you have materials for your class that are enough for you to create workable centers and dont have to divide items up between classes or sign it out. (b)you no longer need these materials and can sell them for a profit

  •  problem: I dont know what Ill be able to wear at school
  • solution: now this is something you actually CAN wait for! long skirts abound here (if youre not too "big"). Be careful of the sizes and try everything on.Itll save you a headache later. Bring a couple things just in case. Remember that you may decide to wear a jalabiya or an abaya-no problem

  • problem: what about my favorite outfits,my shoes?
  • solution: If you dont bring them,youll prob end up kicking yourself because when you go out,you can wear what you want to and may be shocked at what you see some people wear. IF they are your favorite,I say bring them.If your feet are size 9 or larger,BRING THEM.

People have questions about bringing deodorant,underwear,makeup,peanut butter, dvds,etc.
They have deodorant here but if you have sensitive skin or are concerned about the content,it may be a good idea to bring your own. Underwear are everywhere.Unless you have a special case,you should be fine here.I heard theres a VCs in Dubai and Fredericks of Hollywood is coming soon to Abu Dhabi. Theres also La Senza. Though if you have a large bust,Id say bring your own.
Makeup? Its here (sephora,mac,revlon if youre light,inglot)
peanut butter? of course
dvds? Ive not heard of one person having problems with dvds of NORMAL content getting in

Maybe pack a second bag of things you will bring back with you on your return from Christmas break (if youre going home.We DO have 3 weeks off). You should know if youre staying by then. Maybe even go in with someone shipping some things if you have THAT much stuff but most didnt find that necessary.

We are creatures of habit. Some can leave everything they owned behind and be ok (Im more on this end). Others NEED to have things that are familiar to them and theres nothing wrong with that either. As long as you cope and adjust well (the most important thing).

So bring it all...bring nothing...just bring yourself and enjoy the experience as much as humanly possible.

There is a reform waiting for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if...