Skip to main content

I've Got 99 Problems, is America One?

It has been so long since I've written here that I couldn't remember the name of my blog since I changed it. It isn't that I haven't wanted to write. Unfortunately, I had so much to do for most of this school year that blogging was the furthest thing from my mind.

I didn't start feeling more like a human until school was coming to an end. Over the past couple weeks I have REALLY been feeling like a human-I finally unpacked my office and put everything away, the reading room is set up, and I am able to read and I am stress free!

BUT...and there has to be a but with the title, no?

The but is that this may be short lived. As much as I try to prepare for the upcoming year, I know that I work in a high stress environment (although it doesn't have to be that way). I want and need better this time around and plan on being proactive in that regard starting with putting down the phone and doing productive things! But on to this list. Because last week marked my ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY of being back home!! And while things are wonderful in many regards, I can't act like there are things about this place that don't suck. And yes, there are things about every place that sucks.Moving on.


  • (much) Less pay
  • (so) It takes much longer to buy things or save money AND you can't really do both
  • Longer work hours
  • Higher utility bills
  • paying rent (mortgage)
  • no taxis-yeah I know uber is a thing but nah
  • (currently) working under the same confusion as you would expect from a developing country
  • I miss my team and next door teaching friend
  • I was in a place where my voice was valued and my opinion respected. Moving backwards (for lack of a better word OR to keep consistency) sucks
  • Dare I say that the freedom to wear an abaya was rather convenient? lol
  • My view-and I go back and forth on this one because I now have my very own back  yard!
  • Not able to travel to desired locations-I realize I've become a travel snob and there aren't many places here that excite me (also see 2nd bullet)
  • Food options can be disappointing-I can make a list of places I miss eating from!
  • Food prices! I could get organic vegetables for a dollar. ONE DOLLAR!
  • The food wasn't full of hormones that made you gain weight
  • NO MANGOSTEEN
  • Delivery of anything you wanted was a phone call away
  • <15 copay="" dollar="" dr.="" even="" for="" li="" matter="" no="" reason="" surgery="" the="" visit.="">
  • There is no walking anywhere here
  • My friends are no longer 15 mins away
  • It was easier to visit another country while there  than it is to visit another state here!
  • Not nearly the same amount of parent appreciation that we got in school there. I miss the flowers and the gifts (let's not act like teachers can't or shouldn't appreciate gifts!)
  • The chocolates! How could I forget the chocolates?!?!? If you google "chocolate shops Abu Dhabi", you will have a frame of reference but still no idea!!!
  • mafi shawarma. Wallah, haram! 
I'm sure I could eek out a few more things if I tried. The point is that life is much more relaxed when you aren't worried or stressed out about work and/or financial things. It's one reason why Americans are so angry imo. 
I guess you are wondering why I came back if you're still reading. Short answer? Because family is still better than all these things (aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwweeeeee). And even without family, I don't think I would go back there. Things are for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Know which things fall into each category and your life will be much happier for it. 
Now, I wouldn't mind spending my summers abroad. In my mind, I can see myself in Portugal or Spain and traipsing off to surrounding countries. I keep telling myself that I can spare a couple dollars each month to win the lottery. Stranger things have happened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.