Skip to main content

clothing woes

I had plans to be the girl with the prettiest, most colorful abayas. I mean, its so easy to buy material and find a good taylor, right?

Well, that never happened and I ended up wearing everything from abayas to the frumpiest of lulu skirts/dresses.

Year one: a mix between lulu's tube top dresses, some of which didnt hold up, skirts from carrefour and lulus, which always ended up coming apart at the seams, and abayas that I got for a "good" price but didnt dry clean so each of them finally came to an early demise (mostly through being burnt by yours truly with the iron).

Year two: I was tired of layering and burning up in clothes that were too close to my skin. I bought jalabiyas and wore them every day. They were easy enough to wear and got good reviews from the Arabic teachers. I grew tired of wearing them and started again to sometimes wear dresses and skirts- broken up with the occasional pants under long shirts or dresses. . .but tired of buying clothes to wear for work, I another abaya, this one made of a very nice, stretchy material. I should also mention it was cute and I really liked it and so did the other teachers.

Current year: I finally did it. After talking to someone who had dresses made and figuring the aproximate price, I figured it would be a good idea. Only problem was that the material I wanted was NOT the same price as what she got. Not even close. I went in and believe I got flattered right off the jump.Im STILL trying to figure out if this had any influence on my purchases,lol. I got two beautiful colors. One is coral. the other, grey with black, purple, and teal simple designs on it. They should be made in the next two weeks which gives me 3 abayas with more on the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

Testyyyyyy

I sit here watching HGTV and typing away on my computer. Ive been doing this for days now. Apartment is pretty much empty and the hubby is there getting rid of the last few things before working one last weekend and coming home. People ask if Im excited yet and I dont think that it has hit me quite yet. I mean, I am excited but not like I will be when I get the ticket, or even when I get ready to board the plane, or especially when I finally get on Etihad!!! My legs are propped over my knee roller, which I got (again) today for the last stretch of this whole cast situation. Its cool and Im thankful to be healing properly and relaxing at home not doing too much of anything. I have awhile before I am forced to condence one last time before the final move. I am not looking forward to that task. I write before my departure with the next group in mind. I spent months reading about the experience of others and researching any and everything I could about Abu Dhabi and the UAE. Out of eve...

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...