Skip to main content

road safety in Abu Dhabi

Before I came, I thought Id be witness to major car accidents every other day. Based on the statistics, and after living here for two years, Id think that many of the car accidents are outside the city. Occasionally, you see a fender bender. I saw a 5 car pile up for the first time the other day. Ive rarely been caught up in traffic that is a result of a car accident. Thank God, Ive not been in an accident myself.

Of course, you have people who whiz by you, cut you off, ride your bumper, flash you and force you to move from the fast lane. By the way, all the lanes are fast lanes according to the drivers who sometimes have the nerve to flash hauling trucks who are in the lane farthest to the right because they dont want to go around.

It can be crazy.


The other day I was leaving our island to grocery shop when I passed by a car that was completely burnt up. I wondered who the guy was and whether he was able to get out. I figured we wouldnt hear anything about it unless he was an Emirati and wondered how it happened-aside from the insane speed the person had to have been going for the car to have looked like that. Not only was it burnt completely but the top and back were smashed and all I could see was the one car. The workers on that side of the bridge tried to wave us past, looking irritated that we were rubber necking to see what was going on but its only natural to want to see what happened.Especially when its so close to your home and the route you take multiple times each and every day.

Today, I was surprised not only to see there was an article but also to see that it was an American girl who was driving the lamborghini that exploded!

read the article here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...

Testyyyyyy

I sit here watching HGTV and typing away on my computer. Ive been doing this for days now. Apartment is pretty much empty and the hubby is there getting rid of the last few things before working one last weekend and coming home. People ask if Im excited yet and I dont think that it has hit me quite yet. I mean, I am excited but not like I will be when I get the ticket, or even when I get ready to board the plane, or especially when I finally get on Etihad!!! My legs are propped over my knee roller, which I got (again) today for the last stretch of this whole cast situation. Its cool and Im thankful to be healing properly and relaxing at home not doing too much of anything. I have awhile before I am forced to condence one last time before the final move. I am not looking forward to that task. I write before my departure with the next group in mind. I spent months reading about the experience of others and researching any and everything I could about Abu Dhabi and the UAE. Out of eve...