Skip to main content

wedding

I realize that I have holes in my entries. Things happen and then something else comes along and I forget what I was going to write about.
Take the wedding, for instance. THAT is something that shouldve been written about soon after it happened as it was a major event.

First let me say that I was stressed about it because I didnt know what to wear and I didnt want to stand out as an outsider at all. I went to store after store looking for a dress that I liked and would/could wear again. Never would I have thought Id be wearing a red dress-to a wedding or any other event.

Turns out the dress was a success in that department. Everyone I know liked it.

The wedding:

When we first arrived, we walked into a HUGE room with many round tables set up for seating and you sit where you wanted to. There were maybe 50 tables to seat about 8 each in the room.There are two perfume girls holding incense and you can waft it in your direction before taking your seat. We were beckoned over by one of the staff who kindly seated us close to her. We greeted the other teachers with hand shakes and cheek kisses and everyone was so beautiful! They had professional makeup and hair and pretty dresses though they were covered by an open abaya.
I was surprised to see so many abayas in the room. Some were sheer over an evening gown. Some had on the traditional metal face (    ) <----- I dont know what its called.  Some girls had on beautiful evening dresses along with big,pinned up hair, and eyeshadow to die for! It took hours for them to get the looks only to be washed away at the end of the night :-(.
Two little girls kept looking at my hair and asking the grown up with them about it, I could tell,lol. Later they were talking to another girl and she decided to come and ask me what my name was but instead of looking at me, she was looking at my hair. I told her my name and also that this was my hair. She touched it and smiled. Satisfied, she went back to her seat,lol.
We got there around 930 at night, as instructed. We ate around 10 and the food was so much. Most of it I had eaten before and it was good. Even after all of us got a plate full, it looked as if the massive plate in the middle of the table hadnt been touched. At the end of the night, all the food is taken away and presumably discarded. That was a hard pill for me to swallow.
The bride came in around 11ish. She walks soooo slowly and the camera is in front of her as she walks snapping pictures. She slowly walks to the stage and takes a seat. After that, she does not get up or move. Everyone goes to greet her on the stage so we did that. The littlest girls walk around in the prettiest little dresses too.They were all so cute. Also, the brides mom threw $$ off the stage. We were told they were 100 dirham bills.WOW. She wears a "regular" wedding dress-regular meaning one that a westerner would wear. I wondered how she felt.If she was happy about the whole thing-being married and also who she married. I also wondered how many women in this same spot dread the day and/or cry themselves to sleep that first night with their new  husband. Just as our way is peculiar to them, this way is also very peculiar to me.
close to midnight the groom and his family come in and they stand on stage. Their families greet and Im not sure what else they do after that. He was handsome and they looked nice together. We left shortly after that.
The entire time, there was music from a dj and singing and dancing by the women whether they were on the floor, on the stage, or by their chairs. Seeing the women in their abayas dancing was so shocking to me. This one lady in particular who looked to be in her 40s or 50s was getting down! She could show me how to move my hips like she was,lol. They definitely looked to be enjoying themselves to the fullest. The entire experience is one you should accept if given the chance. Its not something that happens often for an expat and if youre in the school, I do think it builds relationships.

sidenote:we were told that we could wear whatever we wanted to but if you have the opportunity to go to an Emirate wedding, dont show too much skin. I saw dirty looks and stares upon someone who did just that.Just like granny used to say-choose one thing and show that,dont show everything,lol.You never know whos watching after all or what opinions they are formulating.We arent in our own country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.