Skip to main content

Work it out

There are quite a few things Id like to write about that are mulling around in my head but Ill wait on those as Im not sure how to say it in the best way to get my point across without completely putting readers off. Yes,I am entitled to my thoughts and feelings but I would also like for my words to be understood. But that could be asking too much because people often cant get over themselves and their own opinions to do that.

For the moment, I will write about my week thus far.
Its going very well and the changes I have made to my LPs have made a difference. It would behove everyone to note some VIP thing in regards to being here and working in your room. No man is an Island. There is more than one way.Im sure you believe it but your way probably isnt the best way,You cant recreate your classroom from before,most people cant (and/or refuse to) see their own mistakes/shortcomings/downfalls,and it is CRUCIAL for everyone involved if you find a way to mix the old with the new until the old falls away.

Do I agree with everything that is currently being done?
No.
Do I agree with everything that is planned for the NSM?
No.
Do I agree with everything I do in the classroom?
No.

And I could expound on each of those statements but those simple answers will suffice. The point is that I have been a learner,as much or moreso than the students,because I NEED to know whats going to work best for me in order to teach the kids in a way that will help them to learn as much as possible from me. I also need to know who to talk to if I need something done, how to work with my Arabic teacher so as not to step on any toes and in a respectful manner so that both of us can be productive in the class. I also need to be realistic in my goals and and use the time I have to the best of my ability.
Yes, I work from 8-12.
Yes,this time includes breaks and/or specials.
No,I may not be working as long as my counterparts in higher grades. . .
But I am working nonetheless.

No matter where you are,you can work harder and not smarter, you can have a difficult coworker,you can have difficult kids,etc, etc.

Yes, this is a different ball game.I will acknowledge that as well.

People say "attitude is everything". That is never more true than if you live here.

The point is that I continue to learn and modify and this week has been smoother,more succinct,more engaging,more productive,and more peaceful.At the end of the day I have a smile on my face and Im happy with the work we have done.

Im happy with kids are now talking to me like Im their teacher.
Im happy with kids who give me books to read to them and who know whats going to happen next int he story.
Im happy with kids who are engaged in small group activities-esp those who I didnt think would be.
Im happy with kids who are excited and want to be called for my group.
Im  happy with kids who I had to MAKE go to the gym today bc we were in the computer lab using a wonderful website (http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/ - plug,lol. good for pk-college honestly,depending on your major of course ;P).

I think about the people Ive met who have been here for 7,11, and even 20 years.For those who have choice words about this place to date, imagine what it was like 20 years ago!
I think of them and I can do this-
with a smile on my face and in my heart.

Comments

  1. Brandy, I would love to hear what you're mulling over before you say it with circumspection here! You still tend to be quite reasonable and positive about your experience.

    I know you're likely getting a lot of "wait until you've been here awhile" from teachers who've been there since, I don't know, August?, but it seems you've been there long enough now to see the good bad and ugly. Yet you remain positive and focused. As a teacher who's hoping to come over in August THIS year, I appreciate your views and would love to read more.

    As far as writing something that's practical for future readers (if that's your goal?), a few more specifics might help. Of course, you may not feel able to post those specifics here, and that's totally fair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

gulu habibti

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.