Skip to main content

Work it out

There are quite a few things Id like to write about that are mulling around in my head but Ill wait on those as Im not sure how to say it in the best way to get my point across without completely putting readers off. Yes,I am entitled to my thoughts and feelings but I would also like for my words to be understood. But that could be asking too much because people often cant get over themselves and their own opinions to do that.

For the moment, I will write about my week thus far.
Its going very well and the changes I have made to my LPs have made a difference. It would behove everyone to note some VIP thing in regards to being here and working in your room. No man is an Island. There is more than one way.Im sure you believe it but your way probably isnt the best way,You cant recreate your classroom from before,most people cant (and/or refuse to) see their own mistakes/shortcomings/downfalls,and it is CRUCIAL for everyone involved if you find a way to mix the old with the new until the old falls away.

Do I agree with everything that is currently being done?
No.
Do I agree with everything that is planned for the NSM?
No.
Do I agree with everything I do in the classroom?
No.

And I could expound on each of those statements but those simple answers will suffice. The point is that I have been a learner,as much or moreso than the students,because I NEED to know whats going to work best for me in order to teach the kids in a way that will help them to learn as much as possible from me. I also need to know who to talk to if I need something done, how to work with my Arabic teacher so as not to step on any toes and in a respectful manner so that both of us can be productive in the class. I also need to be realistic in my goals and and use the time I have to the best of my ability.
Yes, I work from 8-12.
Yes,this time includes breaks and/or specials.
No,I may not be working as long as my counterparts in higher grades. . .
But I am working nonetheless.

No matter where you are,you can work harder and not smarter, you can have a difficult coworker,you can have difficult kids,etc, etc.

Yes, this is a different ball game.I will acknowledge that as well.

People say "attitude is everything". That is never more true than if you live here.

The point is that I continue to learn and modify and this week has been smoother,more succinct,more engaging,more productive,and more peaceful.At the end of the day I have a smile on my face and Im happy with the work we have done.

Im happy with kids are now talking to me like Im their teacher.
Im happy with kids who give me books to read to them and who know whats going to happen next int he story.
Im happy with kids who are engaged in small group activities-esp those who I didnt think would be.
Im happy with kids who are excited and want to be called for my group.
Im  happy with kids who I had to MAKE go to the gym today bc we were in the computer lab using a wonderful website (http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/ - plug,lol. good for pk-college honestly,depending on your major of course ;P).

I think about the people Ive met who have been here for 7,11, and even 20 years.For those who have choice words about this place to date, imagine what it was like 20 years ago!
I think of them and I can do this-
with a smile on my face and in my heart.

Comments

  1. Brandy, I would love to hear what you're mulling over before you say it with circumspection here! You still tend to be quite reasonable and positive about your experience.

    I know you're likely getting a lot of "wait until you've been here awhile" from teachers who've been there since, I don't know, August?, but it seems you've been there long enough now to see the good bad and ugly. Yet you remain positive and focused. As a teacher who's hoping to come over in August THIS year, I appreciate your views and would love to read more.

    As far as writing something that's practical for future readers (if that's your goal?), a few more specifics might help. Of course, you may not feel able to post those specifics here, and that's totally fair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

gulu habibti

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...

Testyyyyyy

I sit here watching HGTV and typing away on my computer. Ive been doing this for days now. Apartment is pretty much empty and the hubby is there getting rid of the last few things before working one last weekend and coming home. People ask if Im excited yet and I dont think that it has hit me quite yet. I mean, I am excited but not like I will be when I get the ticket, or even when I get ready to board the plane, or especially when I finally get on Etihad!!! My legs are propped over my knee roller, which I got (again) today for the last stretch of this whole cast situation. Its cool and Im thankful to be healing properly and relaxing at home not doing too much of anything. I have awhile before I am forced to condence one last time before the final move. I am not looking forward to that task. I write before my departure with the next group in mind. I spent months reading about the experience of others and researching any and everything I could about Abu Dhabi and the UAE. Out of eve...