Skip to main content

In Retrospect

I remember the first year we were here. It drove me crazy how people would talk through meetings and act as if someone wasnt talking in the front of the room. Someone who was supposed to be a person of authority.Fast forward to the end of the year-it was time for us to each have a PD for the fellow teachers to listen to and participate in. I was DREADING it because my emotions often show on my face and I didnt want to be in the front of all the staff pissed off. What happened that day threw me and I thought that surely it was a fluke. THEY LISTENED! And not only did they listen, they seemed to be genuinely interested and wanted to know more about what I presented. The only problem was that it was at the end of the school year and without another PD to show them how they could do it in Arabic, it didnt quite have the effect Id wanted it to. It was, however, sort of an interview process which I passed to be able to work with the teacher of my choice that following year,lol.

Fast forward to this year. Ive done a PD each year I think. Thats only 3 if I am correct BUT each time, they are quiet and listen and I find that amazing given the circumstances. Because they definitely don't have to. Im just another teacher and even if I had some type of authority, it probably wouldnt make much of a difference.

The only sense I can make of it is that they know me as a person who likes to work and who genuinely loves the kids. Other than that, Im not really sure.Id like to know but Im not even sure Id get a straight answer of if they'd understand my question. Now that Im typing this, maybe Ill ask someone.


In regards to the PD, it was on literacy stages and writing workshop. We hope to implement it in kg next year for two days a week in both languages.A few of us have done it at home and were able to put together information that was succinct enough for them to sustain attention and to see how it would work for our age/ability level. They asked questions and we were able to successfully rebut a lot of misperceptions. How will this play out in the classroom next year? Only time will tell. If they can grasp what we taught and implement it, I will be so impressed and have hope that they can make great improvements. At the same time, I am not a gambling woman,lol.With so many KGs here, I really wish we could have had a functioning FB page to converse and share ideas.Not sure what happened there.Its all good though.






In preparation for a school that has a solid literacy curriculum, Ill be taking some courses for 6 traits writing as well as writing workshop.Im excited for that. :-)
If you have any leads, please do share!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tides

6 months ago I wasn't to happy with my situation. I was feeling stifled in terms of teaching time and a  host of other things and my main focus in life was to get OUT.  I must say that the year has progressed rather nicely and Im not feeling the same way about the year. Thanks to my coteacher, who understands what the kids need and provides those things even when someone says otherwise,we  are having a great year! I can't say that I would feel this way with another teacher. Our classroom runs smoothly and the kids are self sufficient. Today, two kids decided to make a book in the science center. The books were pre made with the title and had two pages for them to draw animals or write. They were provided with real pictures of animals to choose from and had been given instructions previously about their options (to draw animals they saw at the zoo, animals from the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or to use the pictures if necessary). We also started this week putting ...

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and late...

Testyyyyyy

I sit here watching HGTV and typing away on my computer. Ive been doing this for days now. Apartment is pretty much empty and the hubby is there getting rid of the last few things before working one last weekend and coming home. People ask if Im excited yet and I dont think that it has hit me quite yet. I mean, I am excited but not like I will be when I get the ticket, or even when I get ready to board the plane, or especially when I finally get on Etihad!!! My legs are propped over my knee roller, which I got (again) today for the last stretch of this whole cast situation. Its cool and Im thankful to be healing properly and relaxing at home not doing too much of anything. I have awhile before I am forced to condence one last time before the final move. I am not looking forward to that task. I write before my departure with the next group in mind. I spent months reading about the experience of others and researching any and everything I could about Abu Dhabi and the UAE. Out of eve...