Skip to main content

update

why does it feel like Ive been here forever???

Its only been a couple of weeks. I will definitely say that coming in a small group, NOT in Ramadan (because things are on a completely different time schedule understandably),and NOT in the extreme heat of August has been the best. We came, got our medicals a day later, and got fingerprints done the next week. We were able to relax and acclimate and things have been good.

No jet lag to speak of. . .still waiting to actually work. I was pleasantly surprised at the reaction of the Arabic teachers and all it took was to speak to them in their language and to convey the fact that I do want to learn about them and not just bring Western ideology and pedagogy to them without respecting and taking into account their feelings.

Regardless of what Im doing here, I never want to come across as that because I am ever cognizant of history and how that has happened time and time again. I think that partnership is very important and in some schools it requires walking a tight rope. Its not a task for the weary or faint of heart.

I walk around and see so many shades of brown and so many mother tongues. It amazes me and there are times when I want to ask-mostly when I look at a person and see Africa. I want to know what language they speak and what they do here. I passed a group of older men talking in the grass. I slowed down to listen although I had no idea of what they were saying. They were beautiful-milky brown skin, fine lines,soft eyes. . .They looked like they could have been griots or even my grandfather. Most people have been friendly here. Maybe I will begin to speak more.

Of course there are rude people everywhere and lots of people will focus on that BUT its not like we dont have rude people in (say) NY. Some people are just rude and it is what it is. There is also the fact that some people respond based on what they perceive. I dont know each situation but I dont like those who want to discount another persons experience because theirs isnt positive. Maybe time will change their minds-maybe it wont. Everyone has a different experience but dont try to negate mine or make yours more valid by discounting anothers experience. If someone elses is good or bad it has no affect on your experience and/or story. The back and forth is really ridiculous. Maybe Im on a high horse because others will try to steal your joy but that wont happen here. I have goal and aspirations. What I do is what I do and for you the same. If we cant support one another please stay away from me!

But I digress. . .

I GOT MY FURNITURE ALLOWANCE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had my keys for a week. I found a paint shop today. Now I need a translator for my apt and a painter. Im also pretty much ready to get my things-household items.Things will be moving steadily and I have a ride for which I will be paying weekly. Outside of that, I will be using public transport which is great (unless they are striking as they are now). Its also much cheaper than getting a car. When I get a car, it will be when I can pay cash for it.

YES, I have pictures to post.
NO, I havent gotten to them.
YES, I am sorry.

I also have short videos. Im trying to give an idea and provide enough visual evidence for those wanting to come over to paint a picture for yourself. For such a drastic change, words dont do it justice. Im working on it.For obvious reasons, things from my phone are easier to get off and post. This weekend that will happen. Especially since I said I would do it a day or so ago.

Im up late. Went to One to One. It was fun. Lots of people go there. Whats amazing is how late the children are up and out! I dont think they have a bed time. Ill save that for  later entry as I have a short video to post to show our time there lounging.

Comments

  1. Brandy, I love your blog. Your videos and pics are fab, and your attitude is positively rejuvenating. I hope you continue to post often as you start working and dig in in Abu Dhabi. Congrats on remaining positive so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shukran laka! I try. Im still new to this but it is what it is and Im going to make the best of everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

gulu habibti

Popular posts from this blog

juxtaposed

should I? shouldnt I? THAT is the question... horror stories, complaints,regrets in opposition with people who speak as if they have no plans on returning to the previous dwelling place. What to believe? Are the kids hellians or little angels? Is the classroom fully stocked or bare?Will you have admin support, admin indifference,or admin from Hades? Sadly, noone can answer this question and not because of "a lack of freedom of speech". Its because everything-in every country-is subjective. And because if one is going to pack up and live in another country for a couple years, this would be one of the more difficult places to do so as you are used to life thats quite different from being here. I can agree 100% with some of the posters of TA/FB. "if the idea of teaching in an inner city school doesnt suite your fancy, steer clear of here". And thats not to compare the two because nothing really compares to this place but there are some similarities (even if

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment! Today, I ran across this product  And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this: Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E. It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later be

This will do

So I just havent made it around to making a video of the place.Part of that is because my phone, which had the great camera on it,is no longer.And leave it to me to buy a cute phone with a horrible camera.yes, I have a camera with video but its just too much hassle.At least I think so. And because Im supposed to be honing my craft, I decided to post my place in pictures. Enjoy. My color palette all these switches for one little bathroom no tv. . .yet just the two of us! I love this contraption,lol and on the off times that this occurs. . . I just use my teacher dry erase marker,lmbo So,so glad to finally be clutter free! cleaning takes one day a week besides the every other day of sweeping bc its super dusty here.I have ONE pile of stuff left and thats only because I need a book shelf.Thats coming soon.